Thursday, January 29, 2015

Language as a resistance?

I read an essay called 'the language of power' by bell hooks and in it, she talks about how the displaced Africans made up their own intimate language by mixing in English words and grammatical structures of African languages to create what we call AAVE or the vernacular English. Through her knowledge of the language, she tells us that AAVE , in its pure form was used as a resistance against the oppressors, who used standard English. Through the creation of this hybrid, subaltern language, the "homeless" Africans created a community which resisted the oppressors. AAVE is still used by African Americans but they have to use standard English academically, which is proved to be the case as bell hooks talks  about how she wrote an article in AAVE and then how that same article was sent back to her by the editor who changed it into standard English. In the 20th century as well AAVE was still used as a resistance even after slavery was banned. It was used in the form of rap which the African Americans used to express their feelings of inequality, racism and oppression.

One part of the essay which caught my attention was this excerpt:

“This is the oppressor’s language yet I need it to talk to you.” I’ve never forgotten it. Perhaps I could not have forgotten it even if I tried to erase it from memory. Words impose themselves, lake root in our memory against our will.

I can relate this to my own experiences with English unknowingly overthrowing my own language Malayalam ever since I joined an international school. Lately, I have been doing a lot of code switching when speaking to my relatives. Now when I call my grandfather, I always say "hey" which is not anywhere near how I used to speak 3 years back. Things for me have changed but I am still trying to resist the infiltration of English into my linguistic memory by speaking my mother tongue constantly with my parents and my close relatives so that I don't lose a language so intimate, and unique to me.

3 comments:

  1. Nice post. As always I believe that when you can take a concept from the classroom and make it personally relevant to your own life it shows a good depth of understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Rohit, your analysis of the text was both intuitive and sensitive. As a fellow malayali i especially enjoyed your tie-in between the concepts covered in the text and your own life. :)

    ReplyDelete